Thursday, June 12, 2008

Sun safety for babies

Okay- so all the sunscreens state clearly not to apply to infants or to consult a doctor. So what do you do to prevent baby from getting burnt?!
  • Get a UV protection tent that is well ventilated.
  • Put on a fun Sunhat!
  • Keep under a shade.
  • Wear protective clothing (Rash guards are great)
When I had to expose my baby to the sun- I still applied sunscreen for babies. I just made sure to give her a bath afterwards.

Now that I have a toddler (that does not want to wear a hat at all times) I found that the spray sunscreen works for her scalp. Her hair is so thin and is not protected from the sun.

Here are some key spots on their body that are overlooked:
  • Scalp (as I said USE the spray sunscreen! How easy is that?)
  • Nose
  • Ears (they also have a sunscreen stick that my friend told me about- it makes applying so much less hassle!)
  • Feet- bare feet or even feet in sandals!
  • Hands
  • Knees
Apply and reapply sunscreen! Most children get 50%-80% of their lifetime exposure to the sun before they are 18. (1)

(1) www.KidsHealth.org
Sunburn Instructions

No comments: