Friday, June 27, 2008

The little swimmer


So, now that summer is here the pool is the perfect place to get your baby comfortable with water. I recommend starting early. One way to get them more comfortable with water is include them in your daily shower routine. I probably started this when my son was about 5 months old (once he could sit up completely on his own and was stable). I put the baby tub into the shower with me and filled it up half way with warm water. I dumped in loads of water toys and while he played, I took a shower. It now is so apart of our day that I think he looks forward to it. At 13 months old, he doesn't mind if the water sprays directly over his head, onto his face! It is so funny. I taught him how to blow bubbles in the tub water and getting comfortable with getting his face wet. I also have those stackable bath cups and started pouring it at first over his hands and body, like a waterfall and than later over his head. He loves it! Teach your baby how to splash the water with their hands.
Now that we have been going to a pool, he is like a little fish. He gets so excited and runs around the kiddie pool, so much he always manages to trip and fall face first into the water. Does this bother him?! Not at all- he thinks it is hilarious!
Things you can try at the pool:
  • Twirl him around and around- either on his back with his head and shoulders supported or in your arms facing you
  • Hold him closely, facing you with his legs extended. This should result in the natural tendency to start kicking their little legs.
  • Someone once told me that if you blow really hard directly into your baby's face, they will hold their breath and you can than dunk them completely under the water! (Please note: I am not saying you should do this right away, or at all for that matter. I am not a swim instructor, so do this at your own risk- but I did try it and it worked for me and now I can submerged my son's head underwater briefly)
  • Many stores sell fun water rafts for babies. They have ones with shades, like the one in the photo (that is my little hipster at 10 weeks!)
Give it a try and let us know if you little hipster loves the water as much as mine does!

No comments: