Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Monkey see, Monkey Do

For those of you with toddlers, you really can relate to that statement! My son is almost 17 months old and it is so amusing watching him try to imitate me and those around him.
This is the perfect opportunity to continue to teach your little one new things.
One idea is to get a big, colorful book with animals throughout the pages (or you can get flashcards). Everyday go through the book, even if you aren't reading line for line, and just point out a different animal. Initially, I found that introducing 2 animals a month is successful to them learning. I started with "dog" and what does a dog say? Now my son not only says dog, but barks too.
It is amazing how daily repetition of actions and repeating of words really starts to hit home with toddlers-- their brains are like sponges at this age so just a reminder to continually challenge them ;)

No comments: